Ensuring Safe Travel – Travel Advisories
Girl Guides of Canada–Guides du Canada (GGC) wishes all girl and adult members who are planning independent or provincially sponsored international travel an exciting, educational, enjoyable, and most of all safe adventure. GGC travellers are reminded to continually check the travel advisories issued by the Government of Canada (http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories) and to ensure that the location you plan to visit does not have an advisory that prohibits or advises against travelling to that location – as per the travel advisories chart in the GGC Safe Guide: International Travel 72 Hours or More Planning Guide (page 130).
Given that there have been some expressions of concern about certain destinations, those planning travel are strongly encouraged to:
- Regularly monitor the Government of Canada’s website for all advisories. Note that there are different types of advisories. Those:
- issued directly by Canada for certain locations. Attention must be paid to these advisories. It is important to continue to monitor the site for any changes in status of the advisory;
- that Canada issues advising on levels of security that have been imposed by another country’s government. While these are not Canada-issued alerts, they should be factored into any travel plans that are being made. Attention should be paid to the advice that Canada is offering for travellers to that destination;
- Guiders should read any warnings with care and incorporate the suggestions for keeping the travel group safe;
- As with all travel, there must be a contingency plan, should your plans need to change on short notice;
- Parents must be fully engaged in the planning for any travel. When there is a family decision to withdraw from a location due to safety concerns, this must be honoured, and within reason without penalty.
In addition to being aware of the current safety level of planned destinations, it is important to review the travel health notices issued by the government of Canada (publichealth.gc.ca).
NOTE: In extreme circumstances where the safety and well-being of travellers is concerned, GGC reserves the right to cancel any trip.
In your planning, if you are ever concerned about a particular destination or planned stops on your itinerary, please contact your provincial international adviser, your Provincial Commissioner or the International Commissioner (firstname.lastname@example.org)