Every year, Girl Guides of Canada honours a select number of commemorative days that raise awareness of issues affecting girls and women around the world. These Make a Difference Days represent an opportunity for our members to collectively take action and fulfil our Mission by making a difference. Each day will be accompanied by a new instant meeting with activities to engage our girls on important issues and identify opportunities to tackle them. Look for programming to be posted about one month prior to each Make a Difference Day.
For the 2017-2018 Guiding year, we have chosen to celebrate the following days:
- World Hunger Day brings awareness to the global issue of hunger. On this day, we are encouraged to recognize the challenges of chronic hunger and malnutrition, realize the importance of equitable food access, and take action so that everyone is guaranteed their right to food.
- Canada's 150th Anniversary marks Canada's sesquicentennial (150th) anniversary! Through this instant meeting your unit will come together to celebrate the diverse and powerful voices that shape Canada.
World Space Week (October 4 – 10, 2017)
- World Space Week is the largest celebration of space in the world! Introduce your unit to space exploration through STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics) in this instant meeting.
International Women’s Day (March 8, 2018)
- International Women's Day celebrates the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. Entrepreneurship is at the heart of this instant meeting.
Earth Day (April 22, 2018)
- Earth Day is celebrated to support environmental protection and sustainability. In this instant meeting, units will explore environmental issues through the lens of social justice.