Our History - 1950-1969

In 1951, Rangers in Canada expanded further. At this time there were already Land and Sea Rangers but Ontario wanted to cater to girls who had an interest in aeronautics. The Air Rangers Pilot Project started this year in Trenton, Ontario and by 1953 the program was launched nationally.

Just a few years later in 1955, another group emerged. Mrs. Ferne Melsom saw the need for a group for older women who wanted to continue in Guiding but not in a leadership capacity. This led her to establish the first Ontario Trefoil Guild in Woodstock. 

In 1961, The Canadian Council of The Girl Guide Association was reincorporated as Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada. One year later, the National and Ontario Council offices moved in together and were located at 50 Merton Street in Toronto, where National Council still resides. A few years later in 1966, Ontario Council published its first newsletter to the Guiding community.

*The name Brownies was changed to Embers in January of 2023. The use of the name Brownies in these materials is for archival purposes.

Air Ranger featured on the cover of the Girl Guides of Canada-Guides du Canada Catalogue, 1970-1971.

First Ontario Council newsletter, 1966.

8/12/2026 1:25:33 AM