Unit Banking - Parent Online Bill Payment Set-up Instructions

We are pleased to announce that we are set up for online bill payment services with six Canadian banks. You can now make payments to your Girl Guide unit at your convenience. You no longer need to write a cheque or bring cash to the unit. Using this method of online bill payment will also help to cut down on administrative time for the leaders in the unit, freeing up valuable time to deliver fantastic girl program.

Frequently Asked Questions:
How does online bill payment work?

What can I use it for?
What is the benefit of using online bill payment?
How do I set up online bill payment?
What is my 20 digit account number?
How do I keep track if I have more than one daughter?
What do I do when my daughter changes units?

How does online bill payment work?

“Girl Guides of Canada, Ontario Council” is set up with Royal Bank of Canada, Toronto Dominion Bank, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, Bank of Montreal, Bank of Nova Scotia, Simplii Financial, National Bank and most Canadian Trust companies as a payee on their Online Bill Payment Service. The setup is similar to making online payment to your local tax department, or hydro etc. Simply set up “Girl Guides of Canada, Ontario Council” or a variation of this name as a new payee. You can also type in “Girl Guides” and do a search to find our name.

What can I use this for?
You can use this method to pay your daughter’s unit for Cookies, Camps, Events, Trips, Uniforms and Dues. These payments will be automatically deposited into the unit’s bank account and will include your name, and what you are paying for. This CANNOT be used to make payment for your daughter’s registration since online registration payments are accepted only through the National Girl Guide online registration system.
Back to top of page

What’s the benefit of using online bill payment?
Once you set up the account number(s), making a payment is fast, easy and convenient! It is also free at most banks. The payment is on your banking system so you will not need to keep track of cheques or cash given to the unit and your unit does not need to issue you a receipt for your payment.
Back to top of page

What do I have to do to set this up?
1. Sign in to your bank’s Online Banking
2. Select bill payment
3. Select set up payee
4. Search for Girl Guides, select Girl Guides of Canada, Ontario Council or variation of this name
5. Type in 20 digit account number(s).
6. Make your payment
Back to top of page

What is my 20 digit account number?

Your 20 digit account number is designed to identify your daughter’s unit banking ID #, identify your daughter and the type of payment you are making to the unit.
Before you set up the account, please check the following to make sure that the number is correct:

  1. Your daughter’s unified banking ID. You can confirm the unit number with your Unit Guider(s) - it is the first six digits (in Ontario it starts with 06)
  2. Your daughter’s iMIS number: This field needs to be ten digits long, so if your iMIS number is shorter than ten digits, add zeros in front of the number to make up ten digits
  3. Transaction type: Last 4 alpha characters – indicate the type of payment. You have a choice of six different payments. You will need separate payee accounts for each transaction type

COOK – Spring and Fall cookie money
CAMP – Unit camping fees
EVNT – Unit event fees
DUES – Dues to unit
TRIP – Payments for participation in international, interprovincial or unit trips
UNFM – parent payment for girl’s uniform orders through unit

If you have questions about the account number, please contact info@girlguides.ca for assistance.

Back to top of page

How do I keep track if I have more than one daughter?
You will need to set up different payee accounts for each daughter since the account number is unique to each girl. Once they are set up we suggest that you use the “nickname” or description field available in your banking system to keep track of different account(s) for different daughters and the different types of payments.
Back to top of page

What do I have to do when my daughter changes units?
You will have to change or delete the old account number(s) you have previously created and set up new ones. Most banks allow you to edit payee information so this will be easy since all you have to do is to replace the first 6 numbers with the new unit banking ID numbers.
Back to top of page

2/29/2024 2:22:12 PM